Final days in Malaga

This Friday was the last day of my on-the-job learning period here in Malaga, and on Sunday I will fly back to Helsinki. Last Sunday I had to move into a different apartment, because the room I had rented in the center was only available until the end of September. Living in the center was great for getting to know the city and the principal sights, and I enjoyed my short walk to work past the Picasso Museum and the Cathedral.



However, living in the epicenter of the nightlife of Malaga above a bar can be a bit tiring, especially at weekends. But I learned to sleep with earplugs and survived. Also, now that I haven’t been living in the center, I’ve noticed that it’s easier to disconnect from work. When you work in tourism and live in the historical center a the city that’s full of tourists, you find it hard not to think about work even when you’re not working. Or at least this was my experience. If I come here again, I’ll try to choose my place to stay more carefully.


A view to the street where I used to live, at the epicenter of the nightlife of Malaga.

The churreria across the street of my new residence. A churro is a fried-dough pastry, a Spanish breakfast delicacy normally enjoyed with hot chocolate.

Eight weeks is a short time. The work has sometimes been stressful, but I like challenges. And now that it’s time to go, I really don’t want to leave. I made many mistakes along the way, but always tried to learn from them so as not to make the same mistake twice. 


Among the things I will miss most about Malaga are my amazingly patient co-workers/instructors, who made me feel part of the team right from the beginning and helped me with everything I needed to know. Other things on the list include the sun, the weather in general, the Mediterranean sea, the daily encounters with customers from different countries, and the tostada/pitufo con tomate breakfasts I often had on my days off.



Working in a company that rents out holiday apartments has given me the chance to get to know Malaga and to learn a great deal about customer service in a fast-paced and international atmosphere. To all the students out there, both young and not-so-young (like myself), and to everybody really, I have one piece of advice: if you have the chance to study/work abroad, even for a short period, do it.

In the words of my favorite celebrity chef and TV personality Anthony Bourdain: “If I’m an advocate for anything, it’s to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. The extent to which you can walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food, it’s a plus for everybody. Open your mind, get up off the couch. Move.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pilates, beach, and a work marathon

Sounds of feria